Batteries seem to attract dust, dirt, and grime. Keeping them clean will help you spot trouble signs if they appear and avoid associated problems...
1. Check that all vent caps are tightly in place (flooded batteries)
2. Clean the battery top with a cloth or brush and a solution of baking soda and water.
3. When cleaning, do not allow any cleaning solution, or other foreign matter to get inside the battery. (flooded batteries)
4. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth.
5. Clean battery terminals and the inside of cable clamps using a post and clamp cleaner.
6. Clean terminals will have a bright metallic shine.
7. Reconnect the clamps to the terminals and thinly coat them with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to prevent corrosion.
8. Keep the area around batteries clean and dry.